A massive cyberattack warning Ukrainians to “be afraid and expect the worst” hit government websites late on Thursday, leaving some websites inaccessible on Friday morning and prompting Kyiv to open an investigation.
Ukraine’s foreign ministry spokesperson told Reuters it was too early to say who could be behind the attack, but said Russia had been behind similar strikes in the past.
The cyberattack, which hit the foreign ministry, the cabinet of ministers, and the security and defence council, among others, comes as Kyiv and its allies have sounded the alarm about a possible new Russian military offensive against Ukraine.
“It’s too early to draw conclusions, but there is a long record of Russian (cyber) assaults against Ukraine in the past,” the foreign ministry spokesman told Reuters.
The Russian foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Russia has previously denied being behind cyber attacks on Ukraine.
“Ukrainian! All your personal data was uploaded to the public network. All the data on the computer is destroyed, it is impossible to restore it,” said a message visible on the hacked government websites, written in Ukrainian, Russian and Polish.
“All information about you has become public, be afraid and expect the worst. This is for your past, present and future.”