Date set for return of displaced persons to Tirah valley


PESHAWAR: The political administration of Khyber Agency on Sundayannounced to start registration of around 5,000 families of five sub-tribes of Bara tehsil to their hometowns in militancy-hit Tirah valley on September 8.
The decision was taken at a grand jirga at the Khyber House in Peshawar. The officials of the political administration, local elders and chieftains attended the jirga. The displaced persons from Zakhakhel, Akakhel, Kamarkhel, Storikhel and Adamkhel tribes of Bara would be sent home.
Assistant Political Agent of Bara Muhammad Arif Khan, Khyber Agency Coordinator for Fata Disaster Management Authority (FDMA) Ziaur Rehman, Malik Muhammad Amin, Malik Zainullah and others were present.
Speaking on the occasion, Arif Khan said that the registration process would start on September 8. He said 2,235 families belonging to Zaoddin clan of Zakhakhel tribe would be sent home on September 12.
He said the members of Zakhakhel tribe would be registered at Miangano Khwar while 1,800 dislocated persons of Storikhel and Adamkhel tribes will visit the Levies Centre for registration.
The elders and Arif Khan agreed on a formula that registration of 600 families would be made on daily basis for gradual return of displaced persons.
The official said the members of Storikhel tribe would be registered from September 16 to 20, Akakhel tribe from September 26 to 30, Adamkhel tribe from October 1 to 7 and Kamarkhel tribe from 8 to 12 October. The returning families would get Rs 25,000 cash, Rs 10,000 for transportation and ration for six months.
Suspected militant arrested in Swat: The officials of the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) arrested a suspected militant in Saidu Sharif in Swat district on Sunday, official sources said. They said acting on a tip-off, the CTD officials raided a house in Saidu Sharif and arrested an alleged militant identified as Imtiaz Ali, a resident of Chuprial area in Matta tehsil. The accused was involved in attacks on the police and the security forces in 2009. The held militant was shifted to a secret location for interrogation.