Police arrest 6 more main accused in Sialkot incident


Punjab police say 124 people have been arrested in total so far; 13 produced in criminal court and remanded in police custody
Police have arrested 6 more main accused in connection with the Sialkot incident, while more raids are being carried out to arrest the remaining culprits.
According to a spokesman of Punjab Police, the accused were identified in the videos torturing the foreign citizen.
The spokesman said the main role of nineteen accused has come forth, amongst the total 124 accused persons arrested so far.
He said Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar has directed to speed up legal action against the accused and probe the incident through the use of modern technology. He said the Chief Minister and IG police Punjab are personally monitoring the whole investigation process and Chief Minister has assigned a task to Secretary Prosecution to prosecute the whole case.
A day earlier, the Punjab government had sent an initial investigation report of the Sialkot tragedy to Prime Minister Imran Khan, well-placed sources said.
As per the preliminary report, a dispute had emerged when Kumara removed some posters from the walls of the factory at 10:28am. The posters were reportedly inscribed with the name of the Holy Prophet (PBUH).
Shortly after, the factory owner had reached the spot and resolved the issue. Kumara had apologised for the misunderstanding on his part.
After Kumara made the apology, the matter was reportedly considered settled and the factory workers had dispersed. However, some workers then incited their colleagues to attack the manager.
Within a few minutes, a mob formed and set on the victim within the premises of the industrial unit, eventually killing him.
A total of 13 security guards were present in the factory as the brutal attack was occurring. None of them tried to rescue the victim or disperse the mob, the report had said.
Police received a phone call at 11:28am about the incident, officials had said. A police party had reached the site within 12 minutes.
The wife of Diyawadana Priyantha pleaded for justice for her slain husband from both Pakistani and Sri Lankan leaders, Sri Lankan news outlet Newswire reported.
“I got to know about the brutal murder of my husband from the news. Later, I saw this on the internet as well. He was a very innocent man,” she said, talking to reporters from BBC Sinhala.

“I request leaders of Sri Lanka and Pakistan to do justice for my husband and two children, by bringing the perpetrators to justice,” she went on to say. The deceased’s brother said that Priyantha had been working in the Sialkot factory since 2012.

Priyantha Kumara, working as a manager at a private factory in Sialkot, was lynched on Friday by a mob after being accused of blasphemy.

The gruesome incident was dubbed by Prime Minister Imran Khan as “a day of shame for Pakistan”.

Workers of a garment industry, located on Sialkot’s Wazirabad Road, had alleged that the foreigner had committed blasphemy. He was subsequently lynched and his body set on fire.

The mob had also vandalised the factory and blocked traffic, according to police.

The brutal murder drew widespread condemnation from senior government functionaries, including the prime minister and president, as well as the military’s top leadership, who promised to bring all those involved to the book.