Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr Tariq Fazal Chaudhry on Thursday apprised the Senate that the government would be bound to provide the PTI founder treatment at Shifa International Hospital or another better-equipped medical facility if the healthcare facilities required for his treatment were not available at government hospitals.
Responding to a point of order raised by the Leader of the Opposition in Senate, the minister said the government had no intention of opposing or creating hurdles in the provision of necessary medical treatment to the PTI founder.
He said the government had already made it clear that the decision of the Supreme Court of Pakistan regarding the matter would be implemented.
Dr Tariq Fazal said under the prevailing rules, convicted prisoners were provided medical treatment at government hospitals, and a legal point regarding the extent of such arrangements was before the Supreme Court for clarification.
He said if the Supreme Court determined that the required treatment could be provided outside the existing mechanism, the government would comply with its decision.
The minister reiterated that if a medical facility required by the PTI founder was not available at a government hospital, the government would be obligated to arrange the required treatment at Shifa International Hospital or an even better medical facility.
Turning to concerns raised about the health of Dr Yasmin Rashid, Dr Tariq Fazal said the government was concerned about her condition and would again take up the matter with the Punjab government and jail administration.
He assured the House that the government would make sure that all medical facilities permissible under jail rules were provided to her.
The minister said Dr Yasmin Rashid had previously been provided hospital treatment and other medical facilities, adding that he would inform the opposition about progress on the matter after obtaining an updated position from the authorities concerned.
Referring to the May 9 incidents, he described the day as one of the darkest in Pakistan’s history and said attacks were carried out on sensitive installations, police and national assets, including the attack on the Corps Commander’s House in Lahore.
He said footage and other evidence relating to the incidents were available and that those found involved had faced legal proceedings.
The minister said individuals who had no connection with the incidents were not to be punished, while those found involved had been convicted by courts.











